What’s so great about aquaponics?
It’s the newest way to become self-sufficient and self-sustainable. Aquaponics systems let you grow both protein and vegetables in a very small space. You can either just enjoy watching the fish or you can have them for dinner. It’s a great hobby and a great gift.
Aquaponics are perfect for gardeners with bad backs, who use a wheelchair or are disabled.
- It’s so easy. After you set it up, it almost maintains itself.
- There are few pests and very little weeding is required.
- Easy on your back since the beds can be set at any height.
How to get started
Major things to consider:
- Where will you put it? Inside or outside?
- What do you want to grow? You can grow almost anything and our list of recommended fish. Some people start with goldfish or koi; others start right away with fish they can eat like tilapia (other fish such as Barramundi, Silver-Perch, Eel-tailed Catfish, Tandanus Catfish, Jade Perch, and Murray Cod can be grown). If you buy a kit, we will provide you with certificate for the fish from one of our special suppliers.
- Seedling starts or seeds? We have them both.
This will help us advise you on the best aquaponics system, fish and plants for your situation.
Bring us any question; we’ll try to answer it. We want to get you started the right way. At Brite Ideas, we give you more than 15,000 sq. feet of choices and expert advice in two stores in Austin and San Antonio.
For beginners, we recommend start simple:
- Use a small aquarium or container and raise gold fish
- You’ll also need:
a. a small tray with media(rocks)
b. pump-hoses-timer fittings
c. air pump-hose-air stone
d. Biozome and compost tea
- Attend our Aquaponics basics class
Buy Trade Ins or Used & Save
We get great used equipment that we’ve tested. It goes fast so check the stores often. There’s a 24-hour money back guarantee to see if it works and is what you need.
Trade in and trade up. We will take your used equipment.
Trade or Sell
We will buy back equipment you bought from us if it’s in good condition. We also take equipment bought elsewehere.
Customer Reward Program
Be sure to pick up your Brite Ideas Customer Reward Card at one of our stores. Get it stamped each time you visit. After 10 visits you’ll be entered in our drawing for a $25 in store gift certificate.
Mark Your Calendar: Classes & Events for Beginners
We have starter aquaoponics classes taught in the stores. Go to Events (LINDSEY LINK to EVENTS on home page) for dates and times.
You’re always a winner at Brite Ideas. Check out our Contests to show off your hard work.
How else can we help you?
Have you read about it online or heard about it? If it’s best practice or cutting edge, we probably have it in stock. At Brite Ideas, we give you more than 15,000 sq. feet and two stores worth of choices in Austin and San Antonio .
See our current list of events
If you have ideas about how we can further support you, please contact us.